Thursday, July 22, 2010

Strange Phenomenon

You know how one day you'll hear a new word that you swear no one has ever used before, but then over the next few days you hear just about everyone use it at least once? All the sudden it's so common and you're so weirded out by the fact that this word must be used all the time and in your entire life you never once paid attention to it. I find this a strange phenomenon.
You know how sometimes in a group, like at work persay, you can go weeks and even months without anyone making a mistake, but then once one person does, everyone else quickly follows suite and makes their own mistake as well. Like at Desert Star, when one person spills it seems like everyone else has to spill at least once before we can go back to normal again. I find this a strange phenomenon.
You know how randomly you'll hear someone say something incorrectly, like adding an extra word into the lyrics of a song, and you think nothing of it until you hear a few other people who are totally unassociated do the same thing as well? Well, maybe this is just something I have noticed and is not so common as the other two, but I've heard a lot of people randomly inserting the word 'the' where it should not go. Twice in my dance group people added 'the' into a sentence in their solo. At Desert Star one of the actors will sing 'the happy trails' instead of just 'happy trails.' I notice it because it takes an extra beat, but I feel like I am the only one noticing it. I find this a strange phenomenon.
What are some random things that you find strange? Things that shouldn't be patterns but are?

No comments: