Sunday, July 18, 2010

Shoebox Of Life

I feel the need to vent right now. I've actually been in a great mood today and I've been awfully chatty, which I'm sure is driving certain people nuts, but there's really no helping it is there? Haha, so the thing that's really bothering me at the moment is one of my friends. I love this kid to death, seriously, but sometime he is just so freaking condescending that I want to drop him off on the side of the road and drive off to Disneyland without him. That'd teach him, right?
When I say this kid is condescending, what I mean is that he always acts like I'm the dumbest person alive. I'll make comments that make perfect sense, but he won't understand them. I don't know why, because when I say the same thing to other people, they seem to know exactly what I mean. Maybe this kid just doesn't understand human language very well....or he's just stupid. But he misinterprets half the things I say and just all around thinks I don't ever know what I'm talking about. Then he'll get on a huge kick laughing about it and telling everyone around us that I'm 'really actually a really smart person, so it's soooooo funny!' Ya sure I don't mind you laughing, especially when I really do say something stupid, but when I make actual valid comments that you just don't understand, at least be a man and admit you don't understand instead of pretending like I said something stupid.
What I will never understand is how people can think they know so much about everything. This friend has a certain characteristic that he would like to think makes him more knowledgeable about the world and more open minded than the rest of us. Sometimes he'll say things like he's explaining culture and human behavoir to a 5 year old. Thanks, but I'm not a total idiot. I do understand how people work, but I would LOVE to sit here and listen to you preach about how much you know about everybody.
He talks about how people are so judgemental all the time, but then we'll drive past someone and he'll immediately say 'oh that person's (insert adjective here).' I'll disagree and he'll go on this huge rampage about how he knows because 'there was this one time where I met this one person who did this and now I feel like I know EVERYTHING about it.'
The worst was the other day when we were talking about relationships. There were a few of us talking about something and I commented on how I didn't think it was worth all the fuss. This kid pitches a fit because he doesn't agree. All I meant was that I myself would never do this certain thing because I didn't think it was worth the bother and the problems it would cause. He seemed to take personal offense and think that I was saying it was fundamentally wrong or something. Whatever. Then he goes off on a tangent and I sit there thinking 'Oh my gosh shut UP!' Then he said the most annoying phrase in the entire world. He goes, "Hun, when you're actually in a relationship where you like the person this much, you'll understand." What, so I'm too stupid to imagine something? So the minute I'm in a relationship that you deem worthy of your approval, I'll automatically come around to your way of thinking? I see the value in his argument, but that only applies to HIM. I still disagree for MYSELF. I will never change that opinion. And I even specifically said, 'well it doesn't matter if you don't understand or agree with my point, because I know what I'm saying and I don't really mind.' I wasn't disagreeing with him, I wasn't saying he was wrong, and I wasn't in any way, shape, or form being argumentative at all. He just WENT OFF!!! And he does that all the time.
I just want to say, No, you're wrong. Your fashion sense is terrible and you're a condescending jerk.
In all fairness, this is not a big problem and it doesn't actually happen all that often, but I'm gonna have to sit this kid down and have a little chat if we're going to continue being friends. He thinks other people are closeminded and judgemental? What about him? He's the one who thinks I don't understand because I was raised in an LDS family in Utah and thus know 'nothing' about the 'real' world. If only I actually said half the things on my mind.
I love this kid to death, but right now I just want to kick him straight in the face and yell at him.
Vent officially over.

1 comment:

womanoforangerinds8 said...

Yeah. I don't know why people can't just get a grip and take everyone's personal opinions objectively. This "friend" sounds like my coworker who thinks he knows everything. Sometimes I do research before I ask him questions, you know...just to test him. In particular, I was researching PDAs and mac formatting software. I found out that several PDAs can be mac compatible, but most of them require that you download certain software first. So, I asked Mr. Know-It-All if there was such a thing as a PDA that was mac compatible. "Um, no way. The only ones that are mac compatible come from Apple themselves, like the itouch or iphone, etc." Dork. His know-it-all-ism just makes me wanted to kick him somewhere. However, this may just be a certain personality flaw or the way he was brought up. I think people that do this are insecure or are used to never being challenged. You're a good person to help this person, I think. You're a good arguer and provide valid counterpoints, as you mentioned. And when he says, "She actually said something funny!" Well, he's just trying to make himself look better but it's a backfire. He sucks. I will admit that I myself feel that many within the LDS church are narrow-minded and judgmental. However, I DO know that most who are like this, do not understand correctly the doctrine that is taught to them. I believe in a world of loving and caring people, but also those who are informed, open-minded, and not so obnoxious. Utah is a really difficult place to live with these religious biases going around. It wasn't nearly this difficult when we lived in California. You were too young, I think, to remember the type of interaction between those of different religious affiliations/beliefs. I consider myself more lucky to have the perspective of many who are a part of other sects who all believe their faith is the true faith. It's confusing and kind of annoying, but also interesting. Ya know what I mean?